Triangles of work to reduce journeys, customizing the ideal height of the hob or the position of the furniture and appliances are keys to ergonomics to take into account when designing a kitchen. Bet on these small large grants will make that we note best performance in our day to day in the kitchen, investing in safety, health and comfort.
At the time of planning the reform of a kitchen is essential to find a balance between aesthetics and functionality. However, there are a crucial third point not often often enough attention. It’s ergonomics, a set of measures that we will be able to increase activity and independence of the user, to avoid efforts and mishaps and to ensure good working conditions.
The basis of ergonomics settle in a proper distribution of space, seek positions correct and varied, choose furniture and appliances, focusing on the specific needs of the user and an arrangement of the elements whereas at all times the optimal visibility and lighting.
Five keys provided to us every day in the kitchen:
- triangles of work for an optimum distribution of space. The tasks in the kitchen can be very laborious, despite the help provided by many accessories and appliances. A good organization of the spaces can reduce bottlenecks in displacement and little natural and unnecessary movements. The disposal of the different areas of the kitchen, distances, and the Organization of rational circulations are essential so that the work in the kitchen is a creative and entertaining activity. A very simple solution is the join (pantry, fridge) storage area, the area of water (sink, faucet) and cooking (cooking plate), through the work of smaller triangles and, therefore, short route. The sum of the three sides that unite them should not exceed 650 cm. In ideal kitchen layout three areas should be fitted with countertops.
- Customizing the height of work for countertops. There are calculation tables that relate height of the user and ideal height for work, to get a custom measure. They are calculated by measuring the person upright, wearing comfortable shoes as they are commonly used in the kitchen and putting forearms to 90 ° with respect to the vertical axis of the body. If in this position we measure the distance from the ground to the elbow and subtract you 15 cm, we have our ideal working height. This measure is the average we can give to all the kitchen countertops.
Standard countertop thickness is 2-3 cm for marbles and Granites. Postformed surfaces the most common heights are 3, 4 and 6 cm, while in Silestone countertops and other compounds of quartz standard is 2-3 cm, excluding the apron. For wood working plans, the average is 3-4 cm thick.
- adaptation of the furniture. The height of the different modules is the first thing that should be measured. We distinguish between base units, whose standard measure is between a minimum of 60 cm and a maximum of 72 cm in height, not counting Sockets or legs or countertop. For high modules, between 70 and 90 cm ideal height would be. The space between the two can range from the 20 to 120 cm.
To make a kitchen ergonomics you must opt for furniture adapted to the height of the user. The main manufacturers in the sector put at the client’s disposal a varied catalogue on the subject, so you can choose the most suitable to each height.
The Interior of drawers and closets should favor order and proper disposal of utensils, by classifiers and stops, in order to keep it handy and well placed. With respect to the shooters, these should be light and easy to use. On the other hand, a cushioned drawer locking system prevents that we pillemos us fingers.
- installation of the appliances. Its correct installation, to not make impossible positions, will be to achieve better ergonomics in the kitchen. For example, oven and/or microwave should be at the height of the eyes to view inside without problems, integrated in the furniture in column. In the case of the refrigerator, recommended a model combi with shelves and transparent drawers, to be able properly inside. In addition, the refrigerator door be opened up to an angle of 180 °. There are also solutions to raise the height of the dishwasher to avoid harmful positions back.
- Accessories that promote safety and comfort. Currently, there are a variety of accessories that facilitate day to day in the kitchen: systems of selection of waste bins with pedal, columns of storage front extraction utility, planks of wood to cut into countertops cleared, decorative dish installed on the wall near the sink, stands for books of kitchen or tablets, organizers of spices, machines with spouts flexible to reach all corners of the dishes or food.
Bet on these small large grants will make that we note best performance in our day to day in the kitchen, investing in safety, health and comfort.
Pauldigo is an international platform dedicated to the study and dissemination of hygiene in the kitchen and in the bathroom, both in public spaces and private, with the aim of promoting a form and a healthy lifestyle. The information reported is supported by its Advisory Board, composed of experts in different areas such as food security, professional kitchen, scientific communication, products of cleaning, architecture and design, hospitality and catering, who put their knowledge available to consumers, professionals and society in general.